Ambush on the Moon

Ambush on the Moon

By Adam Webster

 I had been stalking my target for weeks, so I knew what path they were going to take. I studied the route my target would drive and the type of rover they drove, searching for any weakness I could exploit. Now I just needed to find a spot to lie in wait. I waited along the edge of a crater, forged from an old meteorite. I surveyed my surroundings, just desolate land and craters for miles, no structure or life form in sight. My goal was simple, take out the target and leave no witnesses. About 5 hours passed until I could see smoke clouds on the horizon, another 30 until the rover was in range. 

    The front windshield was reinforced so I lined up my sights onto the tires, aiming for the front left. I took a deep inhale- and exhale- deep inhale- and- BOOM! Front left tire was blown, the rover leaned into the crate and within seconds, fell in. I could see the driver panicking, even through his helmet. The rover reached the bottom and I fired another shot through the passenger side door, this time I hit the driver. I only grazed his suit, but the tear was enough to let out the oxygen, and to get the driver to take his hands off the steering wheel as well. With his current course he will hit the meteorite in the center.

    The driver knew if he stopped- I would shoot him. He knew If he stopped patching his suit to steer- he would suffocate. Which left him one option- KACRASH! The rover’s front axle split impact and the tire I shot flew off. The driver was launched into the meteorite; helmet first. With the size of the tear I put in his suit along with the new big crack in his helmet, I did not believe he would have enough time to tape himself up before the atmosphere killed him. But it looked like he was lucky enough to hang onto his roll of duct tape as he was thrown out of his seat. The driver furiously wrapped up his helmet and suit. All the while I  lined up my sights on him. I gave him the half second of relief before- BOOM! The bullet punched him backwards into the meteorite. Dust blew upwards on impacting the meteorite, then the ground. His blood painted the surface, and the bullet from my rifle put a big hole in the center.

    I waited patiently in my spot for another two minutes, all while glancing at my watch, I had to be sure no one was following him at a distance. No sight or sound of other vehicles. Once the two minutes passed I stood up from my position, I was on the opposite side of the crater from where the rover had fallen in. It gave me the perfect opportunity to ambush a slow moving target. I jumped in and slid down the crater wall. I scanned the top of the ridge line as I descended. I went for the body first, stood no closer than 5 feet away then tossed a rock at it. No reaction besides the rock making a clunking sound as it struck the helmet. I stepped towards the driver until I was overtop, I placed the end of my barrel on his back to check for breathing. My gun was steady, a living person would cause it to move up and down so ever slightly. Then I kicked his arm to be triple sure, still no reaction.

    After confirming the driver was deceased I stepped on over to the broken rover, all while glancing up at the ridge line, expecting to find a herd of rifles gazing upon me, but no one was there. I crouched around the rover checking the underside for explosives and peeked into the window checking for passengers. The back seat held one passenger lying along the big row seat in the back. I couldn’t see their face through their helmet, I needed to check.

    I yanked open the door and put the barrel of my rifle to their helmet. I felt their head shift along with my barrel. I put my finger on the trigger and- “Dad?” I stopped and peered into their helmet. A small face with a stream of blood across their cheeks. This is a child, barely conscious after the crash. I don’t kill children, but my contract states no witnesses, and this one is already hurt. I put my finger back on the trigger. No Witnesses.


Popular posts from this blog

Fanfiction - Azula Reborn

Where did the Demon Lord series go?

Writing Prompt - Write about a memory that makes you feel warm